- Ph.D., Communication and Information Science, 2014 University of Tennessee Knoxville, TN
- M.I.S., Information Science, 2007 University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI
- B.A., Philosophy and English, 1994 Yale University New Haven, CT.
Areas of Interest
Expert and non-expert communication and interaction. Science communications and information management. Citizen science. Informal education, especially science. Valuation of information, economic, social, individual. Philosophy of information, communication, and technology. History of social sciences. Collective action and intelligence. The commons, tragic and otherwise. Information and technology ethics.
July 2014-present CLIR/DLF Postdoctoral Fellow in the Sciences and Social Sciences, Alberta, Canada
March 2014-June 2014 DataONE Post-Doc
September 2010-March 2014 Research Assistant DataONE
June 2007-June 2010 Independent Consultant, TES Consulting, Minneapolis, MN
September 2005-June 2006 Knowledge Management Architect, Tablus, Inc., Ann Arbor, MI
October 1999-August 2005 Business Technology Analyst Merrill Corporation, St. Paul, MN
- Best Conference Paper : January 2013. BOBCATSSS 2013. European conference of LIS students and faculty.
- Sciencelinks2 Fellow : August 2010. IMLS funded program for educating Ph.D. students in science data management and preparing future faculty.
- Aydinoglu, A. U., Suomela, T., Malone, J. June 2014. Data management in astrobiology: Challenges and opportunities for an interdisciplinary community. Astrobiology, 14(6) 451-461.
- Littmann, M., Suomela, T. June 2014. Crowdsourcing, the great meteor storm of 1833, and the founding of meteor science. Endeavour, 38(2) 130-138
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Suomela T. (2015). “Growing a web archiving program: A case study for evolving an organization- management plan”. IFLA Library. International Federation of Library Associations : IFLA
- Budac A, Palmer Z, Pelletier-Gagnon J, Chartier R, Gouglas S, Rockwell G. (2015). “#GamerGate: Distant Reading Games Discourse.” Proceedings CGSA. Canadian Game Studies Association
- Suomela T. (2015). “Analytics for monitoring usage and users of Archive-IT collections.” Web Archiving and Digital Libraries. Joint Conference on Digital Libraries : JCDL
- Suomela, T., He, Y., Kim, H., Stevenson, R. “Citizen science as a new kind of instrument” Citizen Science Association Conference. (2015), San Jose, February.
- Suomela, T. (2013). “Understanding amateur data: Interactions in astronomy and environmental science.” Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S) Conference 2013, San Diego, October 2013.
- Suomela, T., Allard, S. (2013). “Libraries as centers for science literacy and public science.” Proceedings of BOBCATSSS 2013, Ankara, Turkey, January 2013
- Suomela, T., Allard, S. (2012). “Information sharing as a habit of citizenship: Is there an obligation to contribute?” Proceedings of BOBCATSSS 2012, Amsterdam, January 2012.
- Cheong, H.J., Evans, N., Noakes, E., Suomela, T. (2012). “Power struggles and privacy statements from Word-Of-Mouth marketing agencies.” International Advertising & Integrated Marketing Communications Conference (IAIMCC) 2012
- Suomela, T. (2011). “Ethics and Collecting Social Media: Twitter and the Library of Congress. Collections and Collaborations.” IUB’;s Annual International Interdisciplinary Graduate Conference 2011, March 2011.
- Suomela, T. (2011). “The Inner and Outer World of Minds and Selves.” In Berti, J. and Bowman, D. (eds.), Rush and Philosophy: Heart and Mind United. Chicago, Open Court.
- Suomela, T. (2012). Book Review: Andrew Feenberg, Between Reason and Experience: Essays in Technology and Modernity. Public Understanding of Science. 21: 1023, doi:10.1177⁄0963662512443122
- Suomela, T. (2014). “Situating citizen science in multiple social worlds: The journalist-researcher interaction.” Exploring Public Participation in Scientific Research Under Western Skies, Mount Royal University, September 2014.
- Suomela, T. (2014). “Citizen Science: Framing the Relationship between Public and Science” Jean Tague-Sutcliffe Doctoral Student Poster Competition, ALISE Annual Conference, January 2014.
- Suomela, T. 2013. “Citizen Science and Data Curation: Who needs what?” Curate Thyself: Defining and Cultivating an Academic Trajectory in Digital Curation, University of North Carolina. March 2013.
- Suomela, T., Johns, E. (2012) “Citizen participation in the biological sciences: A literature review of citizen science”. Annual Research Symposium of the College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, February 2012.
- Sinha, P., Malone, J., Suomela, T., Noakes, E., Metzer, L. and Sims, D.L. (2011) “Collaboration-it’;s a good thing!”: A multi-faceted role analysis in graduate student education as “faculty-in-training”. Annual Research Symposium of the College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, February 2011.
- Sinha, P., Malone, J., Suomela, T., Noakes, E., Metzer, L. and Sims, D.L. (2011) Environmental information science: A course at the intersection of Popper’;s worlds. Annual Research Symposium of the College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, February 2011.
Presentations and Seminars
- “Citizen and open data.” Open Access Week, University of Alberta. October 23, 2014.
- “Using Zotero to manage your bibliographic data”. Ph.D. pro-seminar, College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. November 8, 2012.
- “An introduction to using Zotero for bibliographies.” Graduate Student Association. College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. February 23, 2012.
- “Bibliographic software and file management.” Graduate Student Association. College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. September 22, 2011.
Seminars and Workshops
- Contributor. Oxford Internet Institute, Summer Doctoral Program. July 2013. Toronto, CA
- Participant. DataONE all-hands meeting, September 17-21, 2012. Albuquerque, NM.
- Participant. DataONE Socio-Cultural/Usability and Assessment Joint Working Group Meeting. April 30-May 2, 2012. Knoxville, TN
- Participant. DataONE Socio-Cultural/Usability and Assessment Joint Working Group Meeting. April 2-May 4, 2011. Knoxville, TN
- IS 301 : Introduction to Web Technologies. University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Fall 2012, Spring 2013
- IS 102 : Technologies for Information Retrieval. University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Fall 2011, Spring 2012
- Graduate student mentor coordinator for 7 different LIS master’;s students. Fall 2012
- Research project advisor and mentor for I. Haugen, LIS master’;s student. Fall 2012
- Research project advisor and mentor for E. Johns, LIS master’;s student. Fall 2011
- DataONE Undergraduate Introduction to Data Management. DataONE NSF DataNET project. Fall 2012
- Environmental Information Management. College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. Fall 2010
- ASIST Student Member. Special Interest Groups – History and Foundations of Information Science, Knowledge Management, Scientific and Technical Information Science
- Contributing Member. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective. http://social-epistemology.com/about/who-we-are/
University, School, and Departmental Service
- Secretary Graduate Student Association, College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. September 2011-June 2012