Summary of the big data explosion from the 2011 Strata Online conference sponsored by O’Reilly.
Three interlocking changes
- exponential economics. The dramatic decrease in storage costs, and the increase in network connections/access points.
- sensor networks. The ubiquity of data collection. “Instrumented spimes” - term from Bruce Sterling for devices that are streaming information into the cloud/ether.
- cloud computing. Computational and data resources on demand.
Success on the data stack
- Persistence - data. Recipe for success = Fast
- Analytics - intelligence. Big
- Services - what do you do with it. Focused
Distinguish between exploratory and hypothesis-driven science.