A podcast episode of Sound Opinions asked “What great bands had only one sound that they used again and again to good effect?“
Examples from the show:
- Rage Against the Machine
- Cocteau Twins
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Jesus and Mary Chain
- Galaxie 500
- Jesus Lizard
Reminds me of an old question about the difference between creativity and originality. Is it possible to be creative without being original?
“Creativity may bloom but that does not mean it will be seen or appreciated by all.” Quote noted by Jon Husband at Wirearchy
“Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise.”
“In the part of this universe that we know there is great injustice, and often the good suffer, and often the wicked prosper, and one hardly knows which of those is the more annoying.”
“The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way.”
My own penchant to listen to other people instead of talking often fails in today’s world when the key to getting attention is to talk, a lot.
She describes five levels of participation
- isolates – who are unconnected to the group
- bystanders – watch but don’t participate
- participants – actors in the group, but little emotional investment
- activists – acting and emotionally dedicated
- diehards – may be the same as activists??